A former 2-room schoolhouse dating to the 1890s, the building has been undergoing improvements and restoration work since 2020, preparing it for renewed life.
Since its last use as a schoolhouse in 1961, the left side, formerly for the “upper” grades, has served for more than 50 years as the Vernon Center Post Office, still a daily focal point for the Vernon Center community.
The right side was once a musical instrument shop, a country store and even a dulcimer workshop, but has been disused for many years. Now, it is being brought fully back to life as part of the unique historic Vernon Center community!
The Schoolhouse is located in the middle of New York State, on the side of the Vernon Center Village Green.
- 7 minutes to Hamilton College
- 2 minutes to Vernon Downs
- 5 minutes to Vernon, Sherrill, Oneida
- 10 min to Turning Stone Casino Resort, Verona
- 20 minutes to Colgate University
- 40 minutes to Syracuse
- 20 minutes to Utica, New Hartford or Rome
- 2 hours to Albany or Rochester
- 3 hours to Buffalo
Our schoolhouse revitalization began a few months earlier, when we purchased the former Vernon Center Presbyterian Church, now known as This Old Church, in an effort to restore that historic landmark to once again be used and enjoyed by the community. Follow our progress on Facebook and Instagram!
Special thanks to:
- Megan Walker and Tyson Law – Architects/Designers of the space.
- Rich Greene – The craftsman responsible for the buildout.
- Foster Custom Kitchens (Ithaca, NY)- for support with the kitchen and cabinetry design
- Erie Materials
- Custom Woodcraft – for the black walnut island countertop